Some cleaning products used in the home can be harmful to the air and water. Many home cleaning products can be replaced with simple, environmentally friendly options, like the one we will be making today!
What You’ll Need
- One spray bottle
- One large label
- Stickers and markers for decorating
- ¼ cup of rubbing alcohol
- ¼ cup of white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 2 cups of warm water
- Essential oil (optional)
- Write the above recipe (rubbing alcohol, vinegar, cornstarch and water) and “SHAKE WELL” on a large label. Place the label on the bottle for future use.
- Decorate the spray bottle with markers and stickers.
- Use the funnel to add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch.
- Carefully pour the rubbing alcohol, white vinegar and warm water into the spray bottle.
- Add one to two drops of essential oil to the mixture.
- Replace the cap and shake!
What We Learned
- Some cleaning products contain harmful chemicals and substances that can damage the quality of our ground and surface water, which ultimately ends up back in our homes through the tap.
- Products with microbeads and phthalates are harmful to the environment. Microbeads are small plastic beads in some cosmetic and bath products such as scrubs and exfoliators. They can go down your drain and hurt wildlife if consumed.
- Check the labels on the products in your home to see if any of the products contain these substances.
Creating your own cleaning product allows you to be sure of what you are putting in the environment.